After a wonderful day ashore and the excitement of getting up close and personal with a zillion chinstrap penguins, we were all called together for an emergency meeting. The crew informed us that one of the passengers had a stroke and required medical assistance. SOOOO... we are deviating from our route and heading to a Chilean Research Base that has a landing strip. A plane will "try" to fly in and pick her up and take her up to Punta Arenas (Chile). Marc says that she'd be better off in the ship hospital than Punta Arenas Hospital but he was not called in to consult. So - we are heading away from our course and making a medical run. (They say it's life or death...Marc says the damage has been done...but as I said, he wasn't called in to consult. Hopefully tomorrow we will get back on course and see where we can land. Cool, huh?
Our landing was amazing - I have uploaded a few pix (As you can see) and I'll try to upload a few more after this posting. (It's very slow to upload pix, but they are so great tat I know it's worth the effort.) We went ashore in the small rubber Polar Cirkel boats and walked all around the shore with the Chipstraps. We loved it. We were all bundled up and the weather was quite nice - about 25F and no wind. The penguins were friendly and noisy. Allie made a little video that we will try to upload but I'm not sure if that will work - we'll see.
You may have read that there are 17 species of Penguin here in Antarctica -- not true. There are two kinds: white and black. The whites are walking towards you and the blacks are walking away from you. (That's a joke, haha) (You have to be here....)
We continue to enjoy the other passengers. Really nice people and everyone is interesting -- most have traveled extensively.
So much to say but I know if I make this too long no one will read it.
We'll keep you posted on the medical run and let you know when we are back on course.
Friday, December 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, all sounds amazing. Panama is awesome-- just wrote you an email to your account with update. Heading to beach tomorrow--may not have access to Internet for few days cause there´s not much but sand and hammocks where we are going--a little different then where you are, huh? Penguin pics are amazing. Love, J
The passenger having a stroke does not sound amazing--sorry, Internet is slow and I posted before I read the entry. Love you all!
Does that mean two additional crossings of Drakes Passage?
Be well.
:(
Post a Comment